top of page
  • Writer's pictureVictoria Dolce

2023 End of Year Tax Savings Strategies




Maximize Your 2023 Tax Savings with These End-of-Year Strategies


As we close out 2023, it's crucial for individuals and business owners to look at tax-saving strategies to maximized and/or undermined their financial health. In this blog post, we will explore various opportunities that can help reduce your tax bill and enhance your financial planning for future years.

Below were some of the most beneficial tax savings strategies that my small business clients utilized for 2023.

1. Home Office Deduction for Hybrid or Remote Workers

With the rise of remote work, you can claim a standard deduction of $5 per square foot for the part of your home used for business. Additionally, a portion of your utilities, repairs, Wi-Fi, home insurance, and the cost of furniture and office supplies can be deducted.

2. Section 179 Depreciation

Businesses can write off up to 80% of the purchase price of assets placed into service this year. The remaining 20% can be depreciated over several years, providing a significant tax break for new investments.

3. Retirement Plan Contributions

As a small business owner, contributing to a retirement plan is not just about future planning; it can offer immediate tax benefits. For 2023, the total limit for a 401(k), including both employee and employer contributions, is $66,000 (or $73,500 for those 50 and older).

4. Educational Assistance Programs

These programs can now cover principal and interest on an employee's qualified education loans, up to $5,250 per employee annually. This benefit is tax-free and can include various educational expenses.

5. Donating Old Office Equipment

Donating unused office equipment to a 501(c)3 nonprofit allows you to deduct its fair market value. If the equipment is not in a state to donate, you might claim a Section 1231 loss.

6. Carrying Over Losses

Small businesses often operate at a loss initially. With the Net Operating Loss (NOL) deduction, you can offset this loss against future profits, effectively reducing your tax bill when you start making profits.

7. Work Opportunity Credit

Extended through 2025, this credit rewards employers who hire individuals facing employment barriers. Small businesses can receive up to $2,400 credit per qualifying hire.

8. R&D Tax Credit

This credit allows companies to reduce their federal tax liability for certain research and development expenses. Small businesses can also benefit, regardless of industry, if they're involved in eligible innovation activities.

9. Tax-Free Loans From Your Business

Business owners can take low- or no-interest loans from their businesses. However, ensure these are documented as loans to avoid them being classified as distributions or compensation.

10. Hiring Family Members

Employing your spouse or children can offer tax benefits. Payments to children can be tax-free up to the IRS threshold and can be funneled into education savings accounts or Roth IRAs.

11. Qualified Business Income (QBI) Deductions

Eligible self-employed individuals and small business owners can deduct up to 20% of their business income, subject to income thresholds and business type limitations.

12. EV Tax Credit

Purchasing a new, qualified electric vehicle can provide a credit of up to $7,500. Ensure you meet the specific criteria set out in the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 for eligibility.



As we wrap up 2023, these tax strategies can provide significant financial benefits and savings. However, it's important to consult with a professional accountant or tax advisor to understand how these strategies can specifically apply to your situation. Remember, good financial planning and smart tax moves are key to a prosperous and financially sound new year.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


bottom of page